I'm already behind in writing this first post, so let me get you updated on what's been transpiring over the last month or two. This has been my path so far:
- Began to research writing for children on the web. I've found some amazing sites and people!! I'll start a page listing them very soon.
- Decided to start out with poetry. I bought Poetry Matters: Writing a Poem from theInside Out and A Kick in the Head: An Everyday Guide to Poetic Forms to study poetic forms.
- Found the RhyPiBoMo challenge at Angie Karcher's site and decided to participate. RhyPiBoMo stands for Rhyming Picture Book Month (April). I had a great time and learned lots! I'll share some of the poems that I wrote during this challenge on another post. Check Angie out on Facebook.
- Continued researching the craft and bought two books: Writing Picture Books: AHands-On Guide from Story Creation to Publication by Ann Whitford Paul and Anatomy of Nonfiction: Writing True Stories for Children by Margery Facklam and Peggy Thomas.
- Started listening to the Brain Burps About Books podcast by Katie Davis. I can't tell you how good it is! Check it out for yourself.
- Submitted a poem for the Ditty of the Month Club on Michelle Barnes’blog. I was thrilled when I received an email informing me that Michelle had published my poem on her blog. My first “published” piece of writing!
- Started this author blog and an author Facebook page.
I’m having a blast learning about the art of writing and getting started on this exciting career path. Stay tuned to more posts on what I’m up to, what I’m reading, what courses I’m taking, and samples of my writing. This is so much fun!